Companion Animal Placements
Compassion • Respect • Professionalism • Teamwork
The Ballarat Veterinary Practice is committed to providing quality educational companion animal placement opportunities to students studying in the Veterinary Industry.
For information on what to expect working in the veterinary field in Ballarat, have a look at our website – Vet Life in Ballarat.
Placements for Veterinary Students – Companion Animals
Making the transition from veterinary student to working in a professional practice is a big step.
Through Ballarat Veterinary Practice (BVP) and Eureka Veterinary Hospital’s (EVH) Externship Program, we aim to support and encourage you while you undertake hands-on clinical experience during university rotations.
You will have the opportunity to work alongside our team of highly experienced veterinarians, in their many areas of interest, and participate in all aspects of patient care.
Our aim is that you will receive an invaluable, realistic look at life as a veterinary professional, whilst gaining skills in client interaction and firsthand experience in a hospital setting.
Participants in the Externship Program are part of a well-designed training program, and will experience the typical caseload of a large regional companion animal practice.
As a large regional practice, we see a diverse range of interesting and exciting cases, and we only refer if we absolutely have to. For this reason, participants in the BVP/EVH Externship Program will receive exposure and opportunities not seen in many metropolitan clinics.
BVP / EVH’s Externship Program is participatory in nature and not merely a “shadowing” experience. The student vet will be encouraged to actively take part in hospital rounds and case discussions. We encourage sharing of thoughts and questions about cases and appreciate the fresh perspective that you will bring.
Because our clinic rarely refers and the caseload is diverse, we feel that the most value will be gained by externs in our practice from week-five onwards, when there is the capability for a more hands-on experience.
Our goal is to equip externs with the tools they need to learn and grow!
- Gathering histories
- Performing complete physical exams
- Obtaining diagnostic samples
- Acquiring and interpreting radiographs
- Developing diagnostic and therapeutic plans
- Scrubbing into and assisting with surgeries
- Performing simple elective surgeries on stable
- Patients under supervision (e.g. desexing and dentistry)
- Anaesthesia and sedation
- Medical oncology and chemotherapy
- Assisting in the management of medical cases
- Providing wellness care
We also hope that you will see this as an opportunity to:
- Develop your client communication skills
- Cultivate situational awareness within the emotional and economic context of a consultation
- Polish your clinical/technical skills
- Learn about BVP/EVH’s approach to business.
- The duration of BVP/EVH externships vary according to the student’s program, but are most often two weeks.
- Students will be provided with accommodation at our expense.
- The schedule is usually 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday.
- Students are required to be professionally presented, punctual and maintain a professional demeanour at all times.
- Availability of places within the program may be limited based on the number of students, staffing and space restrictions, so some flexibility around timing may be required.
- Students of the Externship Program will be required to complete BVP/EVH’s Occupational Health and Safety Assessment prior to commencing the program, and are required to follow BVP/EVH clinic policies and procedures.
- Any information that visiting students are privy to, such as client and patient information, must be treated with strict confidentiality.
- Visiting students are covered by the insurance of their academic institution, and must make themselves familiar with the details of their insurance cover.
- Visiting students are encouraged to make the HR department aware of any serious medical conditions (e.g. anaphylaxis or epilepsy) which may affect them and any medication or treatment which may be necessary.
Placements for Veterinary Nurse Students – Companion Animals
Our clinics run multiple student intake periods per year, with work placement positions available for one student per day of the week. These positions are available until the completion of the placement component of the course, but must be completed within 12 months of commencement.
Students may complete their placement between the hours of 8:00am to 6:00pm, one day per week. Students will be rotated through the various areas of the hospital to enable a broad practical placement experience. All students will be teamed up with an experienced nurse who is allocated to the relevant shift rotation.
Positions are only available to students currently enrolled in Certificate IV of Veterinary Nursing, and are on a voluntary basis. Students will be required to provide evidence of workplace insurance cover, which is usually available through course providers.
We have high standards of animal care and staff safety. Students will therefore be required to complete a workplace and safety induction and must be willing to follow all policies and procedures of the clinic.
Interested students should email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter outlining which intake period they are applying for and indicating their preferred placement dates.
Due to the quantity of requests, verbal applications will not be accepted at the clinic.
|Academic Associate||Dr Aaron Luttrell|
|Address of Practice||1410 Sturt St,
Ballarat, Victoria, 3350
|Contact Details||Ph : (03) 5331 1533
Fax : (03) 5331 3337
|Alternate Contact||Dr Stewart Greedy
(03) 5331 1533
|Type of Practice||
|Surgical Services||Two orthopaedic surgeons operating a varied caseload accepting referrals from Western Victoria|
|Student attendance times||8:30am to 6:00pm Mon-Fri|
|After Hours participation||Optional|
|Recommended times to visit practice||Usually busy all year round, quietest in winter|
|Maximum number of students at the same time||ONE|